Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The wind was biting, tearing at the very desire to live. Yet he struggled forward. Nothing would prevent him from seeing her again. Just one step forward.

He had been down on the surface for several weeks now. The eternal winter pulled at his sanity, made him question what he was struggling for. He had found nothing of what he looked for. None of the medicines which could form only on Earth.

She was dying. He had known that he wouldn't even make it back before she died. But his search gave her hope. And that was enough for him.

The wind howled, bringing him to his daunting journey. The cliffs were up ahead. And at the top lay the only port on Earth that still functioned.

Twelve years. It had been twelve years since the first space station, EMELIA, had crashed. Others had crashed since, but it was EMELIA that first brought humanity to despair. Life still lived after that first crash, but man had lost everything. No technology on the planet had survived the magnetic release, and civilization began to crumble without the crutches that where no more.

The wind brought him back to the present once more, and he went off towards the cliffs, determined to see her face one last time.
*****************************************************************

This is part of the first chapter of a story I am working on. I wrote something along similar lines long ago, but I lost the original manuscript. And tonight while I was surfing facebook, I saw something that made me entirely bitter and angry, and I just had to write this again. I'm gonna post the other part of it soon, but my anger is gone, and I just can't write well when I'm in a good mood :)

No comments:

Post a Comment